Call for blog posts is open!
We invite individuals and organizations working on topics related to migration data innovation to submit their blog posts until 15 November. Selected blog posts will be promoted widely via the organizers' platforms.
The event “Harnessing data innovation for migration policy in Europe and Africa: State of the art and future directions” will be a space to reflect on how data innovation can concretely help to improve evidence on migration for policymaking, as per Objective 1 of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM), and obtain insights on how to overcome some of the main challenges associated with new data sources and innovative methodologies.
The event will bring together experts in governments, international organizations, the private sector, and civil society to accelerate the use of non-traditional data sources and methods for migration-related policy in Europe and Africa. Participants will have an opportunity to:
- explore existing efforts in harnessing data innovation for migration analysis and policy in Europe and Africa;
- discuss policy priorities of European and African countries and regions driving the need for timely, robust and comprehensive evidence; and
- define future steps and capacities needed to develop data innovation initiatives at scale, particularly in terms of data governance.
The event will take place on 29 November 2021 at the Robert Bosch Foundation in Berlin with a hybrid format (virtual and in-person). Outcomes of the discussions will be taken forward and integrated into capacity-development programs focused on data innovation and migration over the next years.
The Expert-Level Event 'Harnessing Data Innovation for Migration Policy in Europe and Africa: State of the Art and Future Directions' will take place on 29 November 2021, at the Robert Bosch Foundation in Berlin.
Registration to attend online is now open
Due to current COVID-19-regulations, in-person participation will mostly be limited to speakers and co-organizers.
Call for blog posts is open
The Big Data for Migration Alliance (BD4M) invites submissions of short blog posts from individuals and organizations working on topics related to data innovation across different sectors - international and non-governmental organizations, academia, civil society, government and the media. The purpose is to showcase relevant experiences, opportunities and challenges of harnessing data innovation for migration policy in Europe and Africa. Selected blog posts will be published on the BD4M platform and on the Migration Data Portal, and promoted widely via the organizers' profiles on social media. We welcome draft contributions until 15 November 2021.
- Blogs are welcome from the broad data community.
- The blogs should be between 1000 and 1500 words, be clear and concise, written in accessible language and include hyperlinks to relevant resources and background information (rather than footnotes).
- Contributions related to the following topics are particularly welcome:
- Policy purposes of data innovation
- Migration forecasting
- Applications of big data and innovative methods for migration analysis and policy
- Artificial Intelligence
- Governance of data innovation
- Ethics and fundamental rights
- Submissions can be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in Word format. They should include a photograph of the author(s), a suggested title, author(s') name and affiliation.
- We welcome submissions until 15 November 2021. Blog posts will be reviewed on a regular basis and the author(s) will be notified upon selection, for potential further edits before publication.